Go Back   Kit Guru community > OS, Software and Coding > Windows Operating systems

Windows Operating systems Windows XP, Vista, 7 and all related software/apps - you name it, we talk about it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Win 8? Terrible so far.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agencyman is on the road to gurudom
Send a message via Skype™ to Agencyman
Default Win 8? Terrible so far.

Won't start right, won't shut down right, too many desktops, too much hard to get rid of garbage on one of them, hard to find a way to shut down, goes to I.E instead of default browser from Thunderbird mail, that I.E. has no controls at the top, [alt f4] doesn't work, F11 doesn't work, this is so bad, it should sell millions of assisted Linux distributions the first day it's out to the public.

Photo shows what happened after two hours of being abused.

Win 7 loaded now.

Bruce Hinton

Last edited by Agencyman; 03-29-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!Share on Facebook!

Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
mkk

mkk is on the road to gurudom

I tried installing the old developer preview version on a secondary system and it triggered something in the SSD drive to make it disappear before the installation was done, twice. True, some Sandforce bug was surely involved, but the drive had been running Windows 7 stably for a long time and kept doing so after. That kinda force me to wait for the consumner preview that's coming out by the end of this month. That'll probably be exciting... ;-)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!Share on Facebook!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Flying High

Zardon is on the road to gurudom

sounds like a step backward!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
mkk

I ran Consumer Preview intensively over a 23hr period and managed to kindof wrap my mind around using the the start screen, and now that there is the Stardock Start8 modification I do suppose that using Windows 8 purely in dekstop mode would be quite okay. I found nothing that really appealed to me in the Metro interface though.

But the problem that proved to be one thing too much was the fact that turning off the User Account Control does not behave the same as in Windows Vista/7. Even with it off the programs launched are still running in a state of lowered priviliges, for instance not being allowed to write to their own installation folder under \program files\ unless elevated to run in administrator mode. Since this behavior was the same in Developer Preview I can only assume that it is how Microsoft now intend future Windows to run software regardless of this UAC setting. Just a heads up.

One disappointment was that the advanced windows settings under the customisation options is gone, so that there is no direct way to for instance change the fonts of Windows desktop or the thickness of window borders. Microsoft are constant in their lowering of options throughout different versions of Windows.

After having restored the system image of my Windows 7 installation I was surprisingly happy to see the good old friend the start menu. I don't use it that much but it's nice not to have to hunt for what you're doing, or just hit Win and start typing to search for a control panel item. In Windows 8 start screen you won't find control panel items this way since the search is segmented into groups.

About the startup factor.
Windows 8 may well start up a little bit faster, but for desktop users it's partly a mirage. When Windows 7 has started you're right at the desktop and can begin using your software, while Windows 8 leaves you at the metro interface and begins loading the regular desktop environment in the background. Which will take a number of seconds. In Microsoft presentations it's also been common for Window 7 systems to not be taking advantage of a UEFI BIOS, which by itself can shave 5-10 seconds off a startup.

Consumer preview joins developer preview in trash
Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agencyman is on the road to gurudom
Send a message via Skype™ to Agencyman
Default Consumer preview joins developer preview in trash

I tried for a week or two, (can't say for sure, it's all so hazy), but when it wasn't actively trying to **** with me, ("mess" is a possibility there ), it was constantly showing its new stuff, in how well it obfuscates things that have for years been intuitive or visibly waiting to quickly do what I wished... For an encore, it would be throwing up things I don't want to see, if my mouse gets near the wrong corner.

If you have the machine in a cabinet, and want to use the mouse to shut down, that is seven actions. If you get to the weird picture after signing off, let me know if there is ANYTHING you can do with a mouse to make that picture go away so I can shut down. OK it will bounce once in a while... Thank goodness the escape key works, veeeery fittingly named in this instance.

I hope you phone-pad folks are thrilled beyond description, because I am disgusted beyond attribution. Who could have designed that mess, OK'd it in focus and marketing groups, and eventually unleashed it upon us victims? That would be those who live in their iPhones. You can spot them easily, they need no belt clips, they NEVER, EVER, let their lives, their world, -oops 'scuse me, I mean, phones out of their hands!!!

Like I've already said, this will sell Apples, Oranges, Pineapples, anything with a rational evolution. And for PC lovers like me, Linux is my answer.

Another six months in Linux and I'll be able to install or run via Wine, all the things for which I still currently go back to Windows.

The list gets shorter every day!

Bruce

Last edited by Agencyman; 03-16-2012 at 04:03 AM.

win8 sorrow
Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cabal18 is on the road to gurudom
Unhappy win8 sorrow

I got new pc but it was faulty and was a win7 joy joy my 1st taste of win7

but after exchange with new pc that works it had win8 not so joy

was ok for few days then tragic strucks wont install photoshop or nero

wont backup restore on dvd it rejects must thing then a super model me asking her out lol and crashes more then a crash test dummie cant Microsoft do any thing right or just leave thing alone now im stuck with this usless win8
hope they bring out a patch or update that sort this problem out and what this smartscreen that's stop any program being installed . win8

Cab

Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Falstaff is on the road to gurudom

Windows 8 a problem? I have it on three machines, it runs fine, games run fine and no issues to date since I purchased them. On a lighter note, my ancient Apple G5 is STILL running just fine. What the heck are people doing with Windows 8 that is causing issues? I think Windows 8 is absolutely fine for the entire herd, and chugs along like any MS product should, albiet with a steep learning curve for a few, it just is what it is. My expectations were not terribly high so I am not disappointed.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Assassin is on the road to gurudom

never had windows 8 on my PC, never will!
its mainly used for tablets....so...

Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hoolala is on the road to gurudom

I bought three copies of them, 15 each, so far so good. True that one of my HDD failed immediately when connected the first time, not sure if Windows 8 is the cause though

Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
mkk

Stumbled upon a nice video presentation of some of the major problems with the user interface design in Windows 8.

Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation - YouTube

Even if personally I can deal with it in spite of the bad design, the user interface isn't the main problem for me. It is however the main problem for most any new user trying it out.