It has been a while since we have looked at a Synology product, and today we are reviewing their new RS212 NAS server designed for an office environment. The RS212 is a rack mount NAS server supplied with a replaceable motherboard and support for hot swappable drives. All the I/O ports are placed on the front panel for quick, easy access. The RS212 is designed to withstand high temperature environments, up to 45c.
“+” series = performance range.
standard series (no digit) = mixture of performance and storage.
“j” series = entry level consumer, concerned about capacity but not performance.
DS = DiskStation
RS = RackStation
First Digit = number of bays
Second numbers = year for the release
Therefore we now know that the RS212 is a member of the RackStation series, has 2 drive bays and was created for year 2012.
- 12-Inch Depth to Fit in 2-Post Rack & Wall Mount Rack
- 2 LAN with Failover and Link Aggregation Support
- VMware®, Citrix®, Microsoft® Hyper-V® compliance
- Quiet and Power-saving
- Hot-swappable Hard Drive Design
- Running on Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM)