Today we are looking at the Synology RackStation RS812 NAS server which has been designed for small business environments. This cost effective NAS has four drive bays and can scale to eight when paired up with the Synology RX410. It has full link aggregation support with VMWare, Citrix and Microsoft Hyper-V compliance.
Our reviews tend to focus more often on the home, or consumer oriented NAS systems from Synology, otherwise known as the DiskStation products. We do however like to look at their RackStation, rackmount business server products when we get the opportunity.
On paper, the RS812 is a very capable high capacity NAS unit. Internally it can support 16TB of storage (4x4TB drives) with another 16TB available from the RX410. Performance isn’t at the same level as their more expensive server systems, rated at around 110 MB/s read and 50 MB/s write. There is a 2 LAN fallover system in place and with full hot swappable drive support it should prove ideal for a small, growing businesses.
- Optimal Price/Performance Ratio
- 2 LAN with Failover and Link Aggregation Support
- Scale up to 8 Drives with Synology RX410
- VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Hyper-V compliance
- Power-saving with only 37 Watts in Operation
- Affordable Total Cost of Ownership
- Running on Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM)