In this review we take a look at one of the peripherals from ASUS’ TUF lineup. The TUF name originally appeared on a range of motherboards, and now with the start of the TUF Gaming Alliance there has been a shift to create an entire range of more affordable TUF components. The H5 is a multi-platform wired headset with 7.1 virtual surround sound, a dual microphone setup and a stainless steel headband design.
It uses the same grey and yellow colour scheme that is a staple of the TUF family, but is this headset worthy of the TUF name and can it justify the £79.99 asking price?
Watch via our Vimeo channel (below) or over on YouTube at 2160p HERE
- Connector: USB, 3.5mm connector Audio/mic combo
- Platform:PC,MAC,Mobile device, PlayStation® 4, Xbox One®
- Driver diameter : 50 mm
- Driver material : Neodymium magnet
- Microphone: Uni-directional
- Impedance: 32 Ohm
- Frequency Response (headphones): 20 ~ 20000 Hz
- Cable Length: 1.2 meter
- Accessories: Detachable microphone: Quick start guide
- Microphone boom : Uni-directional
- In-line Microphone: Omni-directional
- Frequency Response of Microphone boom:100 ~ 10000 Hz
- Frequency response of In-line Microphone: 50 ~ 10000 Hz
- Sensitivity of Microphone boom: -40 dB
- Sensitivity of In-line Microphone: -45 dB
The ASUS H5 TUF Gaming headset can be found for £79.99 on Amazon HERE
- Multi platform compatible.
- Decent audio quality.
- Lightweight and comfortable.
- Good range of adjustability.
- Industrial design matches well with TUF lineup.
- Removable boom microphone & inline microphone.
- Braided cable is poor, and too short.
- Virtual 7.1 surround only supported on PC.
- Build quality doesn’t feel “TUF”.
- A little more headband padding would be beneficial.
- Toggle for 7.1 surround is hard to reach when plugged into back of a PC.
- Microphones are poor.
KitGuru says: Overall the H5 has acceptable sound quality and is comfortable to wear, but apart from the colour scheme we aren’t sure this really fits in with the TUF family.