The Hauppauge Colossus is certainly a useful piece of hardware to own, and it works surprisingly well with the Sony Playstation 3, even though the setup can be a little fiddly initially. You also need to budget another £10 for the Playstation 3 component cable as Hauppauge don’t supply one in the box.
While we focused today on a pairing with a high definition console, there are obviously other primary uses, such as for recording off a STB.
Hauppauge also produce the HD PVR device, two of which we are currently giving away over here. We prefer the Colossus however, thanks to the space saving PCI E card implementation. It can also record 1080i resolution with 5.1 surround sound, which is too much data bandwidth for the USB devices.
The Colossus will assuredly be a useful tool in the hands of gamers, especially those who want to share their gaming experiences on Youtube with friends.
The UK price is reasonable, at £138 inc vat via Amazon. If you want to use it specifically with the Playstation 3 however you will need to budget extra for a component cable. We found a really inexpensive cable on Amazon for less than £5, so it won’t break the bank.
- Useful for gamers who want to share their experiences with friends.
- Can be connected to a wide variety of components, such as consoles, bluray players and set top boxes.
- PCI E configuration won’t demand any deskspace.
- image quality is good.
- Its still a fair chunk of change.
- If you don’t like opening your computer then get the external USB model.
Kitguru says: A great gadget, but only for a very specific audience.