This weekend, veteran Capcom producer, Yoshinori Ono, has resigned from the company. This brings an end to his 30-year long career at the company working on franchises like Street Fighter and Devil May Cry. Most recently, Ono was reportedly working on Street Fighter VI, which has apparently gone through some behind the scenes issues.
Writing in a goodbye letter, Ono says: “I’ve been with the Street Fighter brand for a long time, experiencing good times, bad times, and even non-existent times. My heart is filled with appreciation to those players who’ve been giving warm and kind support on the brand especially over the past decade or so as all the activities on the Street Fighter brand regained sunshine and grew its liveliness.”
— Yoshinori Ono (@Yoshi_OnoChin) August 9, 2020
Ono was previously credited as helping revive Street Fighter with Street Fighter 4 and he later went on to work on Street Fighter V. Rumour has it that Ono was also producing on Street Fighter VI until recently.
According to DuskGolem, a leaker with apparent ties to Capcom, Ono was recently replaced as Director for Street Fighter VI and was demoted due to issues with the game. This is said to have forced Capcom to put together another season of content for Street Fighter V while the next entry remains in development for a longer period of time. The game was apparently due to be announced and release in 2021.
KitGuru Says: There are plenty of rumours preceding Ono’s departure but as always, unconfirmed information should be treated as such and not regarded as fact. At any rate, Ono did some excellent work at Capcom over the span of 30 years.