Late last year the side scrolling beat ‘em up River City Girls 2 finally released after much anticipation. While the game itself was praised, the technical specifics were not, with the game suffering from performance woes and more. Fortunately, a massive update has now been announced, bringing with it over 100 changes and improvements.
Making the announcement on their blog, the team at WayForward said “The River City Girls 2 performance patch is now live! Thank you, everyone, for your patience. This update includes over 100 changes and adjustments of various types, and while most of them were things like ‘an apostrophe was missing here’ or ‘enemies can clip through an object in this room,’ here is a non-exhaustive list of some of the key changes that players should be aware of.”
- The animation rate and camera movement have been updated for smoother gameplay on all platforms, effectively displaying at 60 FPS on PlayStation 4 & 5, Xbox, and Steam. Improvements should also be seen on Switch
- New Game+ can be replayed again after defeating the final boss in New Game+ mode
- Provie can now perform air specials and air grabs from aerial light combos
- Riki’s Guard Break now always dizzies enemies
- Game credits have been updated for content and scrolling speed has been updated for better readability.
- Updated text in some of the Japanese motion-comic cutscenes.
- Fixed various issues caused by disconnecting controllers at certain times.
- Fixed various graphical issues causing shadows or other elements to not display properly.
Of course, by far the biggest improvement is undoubtedly the smoothness of gameplay, with prior versions of the game suffering from noticeable frame rate drops – surprising for a 2D side-scrolling game. Regardless, it is good to see River City Girls 2 now performing as it should.
KitGuru says: What do you think of the update? Did the game’s performance bother you? What has been your favourite modern side-scrolling beat 'em up? Let us know down below.