The PC chassis market now is inundated with models from a plethora of manufacturers, so it gets harder and harder for a design to get noticed, especially by the demanding enthusiast audience.
The size has to be right, the airflow has to good enough to cool the latest hot running components and there has to be enough space inside to ensure a painfree build which supports the latest components.
We have reviewed several Antec products recently and one of our favourites was the Dark Fleet DF 85 chassis. A case which seemed to split opinion with our readers, no one argued it had fantastic airflow properties, but many thought it was rather ugly. The pictures didn’t do it justice, as in the flesh I thought it was sinister, yet sexy.
Today’s product is sure to appeal to a wider demographic, those who don’t like LED lighting … but an audience who still demand a high level of airflow. The Antec P193 is the updated version of the P190, a fantastic EATX chassis which offered a class leading combination of features. The P193 price has been significantly lowered, but more on this later.
Before we look at the chassis, here is a full specifications list.
- Dual chamber design isolates heat and noise: the power supply resides in a separate chamber to isolate heat and reduce system noise
- Fits heatsink fans up to 140mm: the P193′s superior cooling eliminates the need for larger heatsinks
- No power supply included
- Power supply option: comes with a power supply mounting adapter to mount either a standard size power supply or Antec’s exclusive CP Series power supply
- Innovative two-layer, sound-deadening side panels (steel, polycarbonate) and three-layer front door (aluminum, plastic, aluminum) dampen noise and ensure Quiet Computing™
- 11 drive bays
- - External 4 x 5.25″; 1 x 3.5″
- - Internal 6 x 3.5″ for HDD
- - Internal 2 x 2.5″ SSD drive bays
- - 1 rear (standard) 120mm x 25mm exhaust TriCool™ fan
- - 2 top (standard) 140mm x 25mm exhaust TriCool™ fan
- - 1 lower front chamber (optional) 120mm fan for HDD
- - 1 side (standard) 200mm fan for dual graphics cards
- - 1 upper front (optional) 120mm fan for HDD
- - 1 middle (optional) 120mm fan for graphic cards
- CPU cut-out allows for easy installation of CPU coolers
- Cable organizers behind motherboard tray minimize cable clutter
Front-mounted ports provide convenient connections:
- - 2 x USB 2.0
- - 1 x eSATA
- - Audio In and Out (HDA and AC’97 compatible)
- Double hinged door opens up to 270°/li>
- 7 expansion slots
- 0.8mm cold rolled steel chassis for durability
- Maximum video card size: 19″/483mm (Note: some video cards may require removal of the adjacent hard drive cage)
- Compatible Motherboards: Mini-ITX, microATX, Standard ATX and Extended ATX
- Net weight: 35.8 lbs / 16.25 kg
- Gross weight: 41.7 lbs / 18.9 kg
- 20.25″ (H) x 8.1″ (W) x 23.25″ (D)
- Actual clearance needed for width is 9.5″ due to the side panel fan
- 51.4 cm (H) x 20.5 cm (W) x 59 cm (D)
- - 13.25″ (H) x 25.8″ (W) x 28.75″ (D)
- - 33.7 cm (H) x 65.5 cm (W) x 73 cm (D)
Whats new in the P193
- Front door vents, as well as wider vents along the door frame, improve airflow into the chassis.
- Filters and filter doors are integrated as one unit. The doors themselves have been modified to provide greater airflow, resulting in cooler system temperatures.
- Drive bay covers are vented and include air filters to provide better airflow.
- Lower chamber fan is now located in front of the hard drive cage, allowing for installation of longer PSUs as well as easier cable routing between the lower HD cage and the power supply.
- The Big Boy 200, a 200mm fan, is moved outward to give more clearance for taller heatsinks. Externally removable washable air filter allows for easier maintenance.