We like the MSI motherboard box artwork, its big and bold and colourful. The box focuses on their high grade ‘military class III’ components.
The bundle includes a back plate I/O panel, a user quick installation guide, full manual, software/driver disc, motherboard headers and two SATA cables.
The motherboard is built around a dark brown PCB with blue and black sockets and several heatsinks around the CPU socket. The board complies with the ATX form factor measuring 30.5 cm x 24.5 cm.
The Z77 platform is a dual channel memory architecture and there are four slots on this board which support up to 32GB. The company list support as 2667*(OC)/ 2400*(OC)/ 2133*(OC)/ 1866*(OC)/1600/ 1333/ 1066 DRAM.
Internal I/O Connectors
- ATX 24-Pin power connector
- 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
- CPU x 1 / System x 4 FAN connectors
- 1 x Clear CMOS jumper
- 2 x Serial ATAII connectors
- 4 x Serial ATAIII connectors
- 3 x USB 2.0 connectors
- 1 x USB 3.0 connector
- 1 x Serial port connector
- 1 x TPM Module connector
- 1 x Front Panel Audio connector
- 1 x Front Panel connector
- 1 x Chassis Intrusion connector
- 1 x Voice Genie connector (optional)
- 1 x MultiConnect Panel connector (optional)
- 1 x V-Check Points Set (optional)
The CPU socket has a two tone blue/black heatsink surrounding it, which helps to cool the VRM’s when overclocking. MSI use SFC and Solid Caps which have passed MIL-STD-810G certification.
There is a single 8 pin power socket for the CPU to ensure stability.
The PCB has a row of V-Check points which will appeal to the overclockers out there who like to push things to the limits.
• SATAII controller integrated in Intel Z77 chipset
- Up to 3Gb/s transfer speed.
- Supports four SATAII ports (SATA3~6) by Z77
• SATAIII controller integrated in Intel Z77 chipset
- Up to 6Gb/s transfer speed.
- Supports two SATAIII ports (SATA1~2) by Z77
- SATA1~6 support Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (AHCI/ RAID 0/ 1/ 5/ 10) by Intel Z77
The expansion slots are split into the following:
• 2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots
• 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slot
- PCI_E7 supports up to PCIe 2.0 x4 speed
• 4 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots
Back Panel I/O Ports
- 1 x PS/2 keyboard/ mouse port
- 1 x Clear CMOS button
- 1 x Coaxial S/PDIF-out port
- 1 x Optical S/PDIF-out port
- 4 x USB 2.0 ports
- 2 x USB 3.0 ports
- 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack
- 1 x 6 in 1 audio jack
- 1 x HDMI® port with max. resolution up to 1920×1200 @60Hz
- 1 x DVI-D port with max. resolution up to 1920×1200 @60Hz
- 1 x VGA port with max. resolution up to 2048×1536 @75Hz