Over the years we have reviewed many NAS systems and today we are looking at the high performance, scalable Synology DiskStation DS1512+ which is designed to accommodate the needs of a small or medium sized business. The DS1512+ is a dual LAN device with Link Aggregation support and it can be upgraded to accept 3GB of memory and several 5 drive bays. Is this the new, mid level cost NAS server ideal for your growing business?
Those who are confused with the Synology product naming conventions can use this as a guide:
“+” series = performance range.
standard series (no digit) = mixture of performance and storage.
“j” series = entry level consumer, concerned about capacity but not performance.
DS = DiskStation
RS = RackStation
First Digit = number of bays
Second numbers = year for the release
Therefore we now know that the DS1512+ is a member of the DiskStation series, has 5 drive bays and was created for year 2012.
- Scaling up to 15 Drives with Synology DX510
- Featuring SuperSpeed USB 3.0
- Expandable RAM Module (Up to 3GB)
- 2 LAN with Link Aggregation Support
- CPU Passive cooling Technology & System Fan Redundancy
- VMware®, Citrix®, Microsoft® Hyper-V® Compliance
- Running on Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM)