Today we are taking a look at the Alpenföhn Matterhorn PURE CPU cooler, a competitively priced mid range cooler for those who seek high performance at low cost. In enthusiast circles Alpenföhn have already earned a reputation for solid build quality and striking aesthetics.
There are many CPU coolers on the market today, and its increasingly difficult to distinguish the men from the boys in terms of price vs performance. Many follow a traditional design of a single tower with a solid base (Copper and Nickel seem to be a popular choice) and dense fin array, with anywhere between 2 and 8 copper heat pipes connecting to it all together.
Alpenföhn have a great selection of coolers on the market which vary from the lowest level cooler, the ‘Panorama' to the big daddy of their selection, the ‘K2'. Each cooler varies in looks and performance, however the over engineered appearance is consistent throughout, along with a standard 120mm fan, which is also designed by Alpenföhn inhouse.
The official specs can be seen below:
Heat sink Spec:
Size: 138 x 123 x 158mm.
Size: 120 x 120 x 25mm.
Rated Voltage: 12 VDC.
Speed: 500 – 1500 RPM.
Airflow: 108 m³/h.
Auto Restart: Yes.
The special trapezoid shaped fins that are placed in a 180° rhythm creating two essential advantages:
- Narrow Fin pitch in the center of the heatsink – this feature increases the thermal surface and ensures a higher heat dissipation.
- Wide fin pitch at air inlet area – by having a wide fin pitch at the air inlet area the Alpenföhn „Matterhorn can be run with very low fan speed as the airflow faces less resistance.
- Despite that the “Matterhorn” cooler has closed sides. This helps guiding the air through the narrow fin area and offers better mechanical stability.
- The six U-shape Heatpipes have a large contact area to the full copper baseplate to optimize the heat-transfer from the CPU.
- By precision CNC machining the surface of the base plate is extremely flat.
120mm WB-Pure Fan:
- The award-winning WB-technology maximize cooling and minimize noise due to an optimized fan blade design.
- In combination of 4 de-vibration rubber elements and HD bearing the new WingBoost Pure fan is nearly inaudible.
The new “plus-function” gives you the possibility to control a further PWM fan with one PWM connector of the Motherboard.