Today EVGA has announced its new GQ Series of modular 80Plus Gold power supplies, with a focus on offering the best features of EVGA’s more popular PSUs and combining them in to a more affordable package. The GQ series aims to offer ‘ultimate value’, with features like EVGA ECO fan mode to ensure quiet operation, Japanese Capacitors along with a highly efficient design.
EVGA’s ECO fan mode keeps the fan switched off during low to medium load cases and ramps things up when the additional power is needed. On top of that, thanks to the 80Plus Gold rating, these power supplies can offer 90% efficiency under typical loads, with the Japanese Capacitors set to ensure longevity.
These are semi-modular power supplies, meaning the necessary cables, like your 24-pin motherboard connector or CPU power are already attached. However, there are modular slots for additional cable needs, like more PCIe connectors.
The full feature list includes:
- 80 PLUS Gold certified, with 90% (115VAC) / 92% (220VAC~240VAC) efficiency or higher under typical loads
- NVIDIA SLI & AMD Crossfire Ready
- 5 Year Warranty and unparalleled EVGA Customer Support
- Modular Design to reduce clutter and improve airflow
- Active Clamp +DC to DC design for efficient operation
- EVGA ECO Intelligent Thermal Control System eliminates fan noise at low to medium loads
- Whisper Silent with 135mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan
- Active Power Factor Correction (PFC)
The GQ Series includes a 650W, 750W, 850W and 1000W power supply and a five year warranty, which is great. Unfortunately though, pricing and availability information is still being worked out for now, so while EVGA has boasted an affordable line, we don’t actually know how affordable it will be yet.
KitGuru Says: The power supply is an important part of any rig. What do you guys look for in a PSU? Do you only ever go for Platinum rated, or would you settle for a decent Bronze or Gold rated unit?