Today we analyse the latest Corsair RM1200x Shift power supply, a high-end 80 Plus Gold rated unit with a new innovative side positioned modular panel to aid cable management. The RM1200x offers Intel ATX 3.0 certification and PCIe 5.0 compliance. If you want to see how the Shift works in the real world, my colleague Leo has installed it into a build, you can check out this video below. Today I'll be giving the unit a thorough technical analysis and showcasing the strengths and weaknesses.
Watch via our Vimeo channel (below) or over on YouTube at 2160p HERE
Corsair are releasing four units in this new range in 750 watt, 850 watt, 1000 watt and 1200 watt capacities.
The USP with the SHIFT range of power supplies is that you can easily access the cables from the side of the case – the modular panel has been ‘shifted' to the side. I think it is actually a really good idea especially if you like to tinker and tweak your build on a fairly regular basis. It won't suit every chassis design, but we applaud Corsair for trying new things.
Corsair have listed $269.99 for the 1200W model we review today. UK prices seem to be holding around the £260 mark (HERE from OCUK).
- Innovative Easy-Access Connection Position: Modular connections on the side of the PSU mean easier access for your cables and simpler, cleaner cable management.
- Fully Modular Micro-Fit PSU Connectors: CORSAIR Type 5 Gen 1 micro-fit PSU cables mean you only connect the cables your system needs while taking up less space.
- 140mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan: Utilizes a specially calculated fan curve for high performance, low noise, and superior reliability.
- Intel® ATX 3.0 Certified: Compliant with the ATX 3.0 power standard, supporting the PCIe Gen 5 platform and resisting transient power spikes.
- 100% 105°C-Rated Japanese Electrolytic Capacitors: Premium internal components deliver unwavering power delivery and long-term reliability.
- Modern Standby Compatible: Extremely fast wake-from-sleep times and better low-load efficiency.
- 80 PLUS Gold Certified: Steady power output at up to 90% efficiency, and Cybenetics – certified for lower power consumption, less noise, and cooler temperatures.
- Zero RPM Fan Mode Support: At low and medium loads the cooling fan switches off entirely for near-silent operation.
- Resonant LLC Topology with DC-to-DC Conversion: Provides clean, consistent power and enables use of more energy-efficient sleep states.
- Ten-Year Warranty: Your guarantee of reliable operation that will last across several system builds.