Inscryption has become the first title to win the IGFA Grand Prize and GDCA Game of the Year award in the same year, a fantastic feat that shows how far indie games have come.
Besides these two awards, the dark-fantasy card game also got IGF's Excellence in Design, Excellence in Narrative, and Excellence in Audio awards, bringing home five awards. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was also immensely praised during the ceremony, taking GDC's Best Visual Art and Best Technology awards. Unpacking received the Best Audio and Innovation awards and Valheim's studio got “Best Debut”, and the Audience Award.
The complete list of winners from the Game Developers Choice Awards 2022 can be found below:
- Best Debut: Iron Gate Studio for Valheim
- Best Visual Art: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Audio: Unpacking (Witch Beam/Humble Games)
- Best Narrative: Psychonauts 2 (Double Fine Productions/Xbox Game Studios)
- Social Impact Award: Boyfriend Dungeon (Kitfox Games)
- Innovation Award: Unpacking (Witch Beam/Humble Games)
- Best Technology: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Design: It Takes Two (Hazelight Studios/Electronic Arts)
- Audience Award: Valheim (Iron Gate Studio/Coffee Stain Publishing)
- Game of the Year: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games/Devolver Digital)
- Ambassador Award: Steven Spohn
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Yuji Horii
As for the Independent Games Festival Awards 2022 winners list, you can find it here:
- Best Student Game: Live Adventure (Live Adventure Team)
- Excellence in Design: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games)
- Excellence in Visual Art: Papetura (Petums)
- Excellence in Audio: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games)
- Nuovo Award: Memory Card (Lily Zone)
- Excellence in Narrative: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games)
- Audience Award: Mini Motorways (Dinosaur Polo Club)
- Seumas McNally Grand Prize: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games)
Discuss on our Facebook page, HERE.
KitGuru says: Seeing Inscryption getting GDCA and IGFA grand prizes sure was surprising, especially when other nominees included Forza Horizon 5, It Takes Two, and Deathloop. Did any of your favourite games from 2021 get an award? Is there any game you feel that might be missing from these lists?