In the run up to Christmas there is no better time to treat yourself to a new bit of kit. How about a new Solid State Drive? How about one that can handle your operating system and all your files and games as well? Today we revisit the Samsung EVO 1TB which is available now for less than £450 inc vat.
It may be hard to believe but there was a time when a Solid State drive was £10 per GB. Prices this year have dropped to an all time low with the Crucial M500 960GB available for only £373.00 inc vat. The Samsung EVO 1TB may be more expensive but it is quicker and offers a slightly higher capacity.
The Samsung 840 EVO uses NAND manufactured on a 19nm process. This has meant that Samsung have been able to increase the capacity to 1TB, a size that a couple of years ago would have seemed impossible. Technically the process shrinks can mean that product lifespan is reduced as well. This is due to more electrons being trapped in the smaller oxide layers and these will wear out over time.
Samsung however have clearly still got confidence in the product as they give a three year warranty with these EVO drives, although it is worth bearing in mind that is reduced from the five year warranty supplied with the Pro series.
- 1TB (1TB=1 Trillion byte by IDEMA) * Actual usable capacity may be less (due to formatting, partitioning, operating system, applications or otherwise).
- 2.5inch Form Factor.
- SATA 6Gb/s Interface, compatible with SATA 3Gb/s & SATA 1.5Gb/s interface.
- 100 x 69.85 x 6.8mm Dimension.
- Max 53g Weight.
- Samsung 1x nm Toggle DDR 2.0 NAND Flash Memory (400Mbps).
- Samsung 3-core MEX Controller.
- Samsung 1GB Low Power DDR2 SDRAM cache memory.
- Recommended for Desktop PC & Laptop PC.