Having started to create multimedia speakers for PC systems in Germany many years ago, Wavemaster is a relatively new brand to UK consumers – but they are aiming to make a splash with a series of headphone and speaker launches in 2013. We have been sent a set of Wavemaster Stax speakers – aimed squarely at the entry level 2.1 market that has been dominated for many years by brands like Logitech and Creative.
The first thing that grabs your attention when you open the Wavemaster Stax box is the styling on the tweeters. The sub-woofer is pretty much as you would expect, a lump of bass-boosting-box, but the mini tweeter towers are gorgeous.
It is worth pointing out that these Wavemaster speakers have no connection to the famous, ultra high end oriental STAX headphones and amplifiers.
All 3 speakers also feel comfortably heavy in your hand.
While there won’t always be a 100% correlation between physical weight and the amount of volume a speaker can deliver, there is normally a strong link. Why? Well think about it this way: If you’re a manufacturer in the Far East and you know that you might have to ship goods around the world, then you will spend some time thinking about ways to reduce the weight of your goods – because that can reduce shipping costs and increase profitability. These speakers have a positive ‘heft’ to them. A good early sign in our book.
The tweeters are also articulate, in the sense that they can swivel on their base – allowing you to direct your music directly toward your ears.
Control over volume – plus additional access points for headphones, line-in or microphone – comes in a neat desktop control unit. The cable is a decent length and should allow you to create a neat work area.
- Satellite: 2 x 2.54 cm full-range speaker with Mylar membrane.
- Subwoofer: 12.5 cm long-throw woofer.
- Integrated amplifier: 3 channels.
- Output power (RMS): Subwoofer 22 watts, 2 x 10 watt satellite.
- Frequency Response: Subwoofer 30-150 Hz Satellite 150 Hz – 20,000 Hz.
- Cable remote control for: ON / OFF, volume control, headphone jack, separate line-in and microphone ports.
- Designer satellite speakers: adjustable metal stand and wall mounting.
- Subwoofer: Wooden casing with bass reflex technology, Bass level control and power switch.
- Internal Power Supply: 230 volts.
- Connector: 3.5 mm stereo jack or RCA.
- Dimensions (WHD): Satellites are 100 x 205 mm and the Subwoofer is 185 x 263 x 232 mm.