Home / Tech News / Featured Tech News / Payday 3 is built on Unreal engine, currently in design phase

Payday 3 is built on Unreal engine, currently in design phase

We've known that Payday 3 has been in the works for a while, although financial issues at Starbreeze did hold things back a bit. It would seem that we now have an official update on the project, including confirmation of an engine change, switching from an in-house engine to Unreal Engine. 

Starbreeze has shared the news alongside a screenshot of a cryptic character through the Payday Twitter account. Unlike the previous entries of the franchise, which were based on Diesel Engine, Payday 3 will be built on Unreal Engine.

The development of Payday 3 has been quite the bumpy road. The game was announced back in 2016, right after Starbreeze acquired the franchise from Overkill. A couple of years later, in 2018, Starbreeze released the Overkill’s The Walking Dead which made the company finances crumble, which was then followed by a restructuring of the company. In 2019, the studio said that Payday 3 was scheduled for a release between 2022 and 2023, which still seems reasonable.

Earlier this year, Starbreeze has asked for extra funding ($26 million) for the development of the latest entry to the Payday series. From this $26 million, 30% ($7.2 million) was destined to pay off debts, while the remaining 70% ($18.8 million) was going to be applied to the development of Payday 3. The company plans to increase its cash flow by 2022 with the release of the Payday: Crime War mobile game, Payday 3 and respective publishing agreements.

Discuss on our Facebook page, HERE.

KitGuru says: Are you a fan of the Payday series? Are you waiting for the release of Payday 3?

Become a Patron!

Check Also

The Witcher 3’s latest update brings performance and optimisation improvements

It has been roughly six weeks since The Witcher 3's next-gen update landed for PC, …