We've recently reviewed a number of mid-range cases that fall in the just over £100 mark from the likes of Corsair and Lian Li which impressed us greatly. So when we were offered a similarly-priced case from a lesser known manufacturer, we jumped at the chance so we could see how they compare.
Today we are going to look at the Fractal Design Define XL Case which is designed to keep noise to a minimum. The ‘XL' part of the cases' name is certainly reflective of the size of the case which is quite a lot larger than the other £100+ cases we've looked at recently.
- Stylish design
- Pre-fitted with noise absorbing material
- Configurable thermal chamber design
- Great cooling possibilities, 3x fans included (2x 140mm, 1x 180mm)
- 10x HDD slots
- Unique ModuVent™ design in side panel
- 4x 5,25” bays, 1x 5,25” to 3,5” converter included
- Mini-itx, micro ATX, ATX and E-ATX motherboards
- 10x HDD trays. 4x HDD trays in the HDD cage in the main chamber. This HDD cage is removable and rotatable.(Space ~330mm with HDD Cage and without ~480mm) 6x HDD trays in the lower HDD chamber. These HDD cages are fixed.
- A total of two 140mm fans and one 180mm fan included. Front 140mm fans are mounted with removable, washable filter. A fan controller is included, for mounting in one of the rear expansion slots.
- Pre-fitted with dense noise absorbing material in both side panels.
- ModuVent™ feature, allowing the user to choose between an optimal low noise level, having the cover mounted or optimal airflow by removing the cover and mounting a fan for intake.
- On top of front panel: 4x USB 2.0, 1x eSATA and Audio I/O
- Case size (WxHxD): 232x560x561.3mm
- Net weight: 17.95kg
- 2x 140mm fans (one 140mm included, one optional) with removable and washable filters, in the front. Recommended for intake of air.
- 1x 120mm fan optional with removable and washable filter, in the front. Recommended for intake of air.
- 1x 180mm fan included in the top of the case. Recommended for exhaust of air.
- 1x 140mm fan included in the rear of the case. Recommended for exhaust of air.
- 1x 120/140mm fan optional in the side of the case. Recommended for intake of air.
We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the packaging surrounding the Define XL. The sizable black box that is pictured above is very attractive and is actually supplied within an outer brown cardboard box for extra protection. Inside these boxes we find the case, wrapped in plastic and sandwiched between two pieces of polystyrene.
The bundle of accessories that is supplied with the Define XL is quite plentiful. Unfortunately, the screws aren't supplied in seperate bags which can make it difficult when you are looking for specific sizes. But there are plenty of screws provided alongside a number of cable ties. Fractal also include a fan controller which lets you control the speed of the three included case fans using an adapter which fits into an add in card slot.