Home / Tech News / Featured Tech News / Google Chrome will now use more RAM due to Spectre fixes

Google Chrome will now use more RAM due to Spectre fixes

Google Chrome is already rather infamous for eating up a lot of RAM. Last year, we saw Google begin to take steps to tackle the issue, but thanks to Spectre, those efforts are now in-vain. This week, Google announced that Chrome would be getting a Site Isolation feature, which will protect against Spectre at the cost of using up extra resources.

Site Isolation was revealed via the Chrome blog. The feature will see Chrome use up more renderer processes, which in turn comes with a performance trade-off. Google says that there is somewhere between a 10 and 13 percent memory overhead in real life workloads due to the higher number of processes.

Site Isolation is being introduced to add protection against the Spectre vulnerability that made waves at the start of 2018. Months later, additional patches and protections are still being implemented to ensure Spectre won’t become an easily exploitable, widespread issue. With Site Isolation, Chrome will mitigate the threat by presenting data from multiple websites being loaded into the same process. This way, if a website does trigger a Spectre attack, other open web pages won’t be affected.

Site Isolation has now been rolled out to 99% of users on Windows, MacOS, Linux, and ChromeOS. The remaining 1% is so Google can monitor and improve performance.

KitGuru Says: Whilst the added security is a good thing, Chrome users with low-power machines may find the experience to be a lot worse. How has this update affected your Chrome usage?  

Become a Patron!

Check Also

PC Building Simulator – Building the Ultimate Watercooled PC

This time last year I checked out PC Building simulator for the first time and was surprised at how accurate and fun the gameplay was. The title allows you to plan and build you own virtual PC system with a range of components from various manufacturers. PC Building simulator has had quite a few updates over the past year with the biggest one being the addition of Custom watercooling. I thought this was a great opportunity to pick up the game again and plan my dream PC complete with a custom loop.