The Solid State market has been thriving in the last six months. Part of this growth has been caused by the Thailand floods which raised the prices of mechanical drives. If you are in the market for a new Solid State drive, but only have £100 to spend then the product we are reviewing today will be of interest.
The new Kingston SSDnow V+ 200 90GB (SVP200S3/90G) retails in the UK for £92.99 inc vat which is set to appeal to a huge enthusiast audience.
Adding a Solid State Drive to a system can be one of the most noticeable ways to enhance overall performance. Many enthusiast users don’t fancy spending £300+ on a new drive however, so a smaller boot drive is the most cost effective means of upgrading, when paired up with a large mechanical drive.
Kingston have released many Solid State Drives in the past, and the 90GB drive we are reviewing today uses the class leading Sandforce SF-2281 controller. Sadly, the Sandforce controller has been at the center of several product recalls in the last year from OCZ and Corsair.
Due to the compressible data performance however it hasn’t stopped companies such as Intel or Kingston from adopting it in their latest drives. To reassure customers, both companies offer long, 3 year warranty coverage with 24/7 support.
Kingston offer the V+200 in capacities from 60GB to 480GB, which targets the widest possible demographic from business executives to budget aware enthusiast users.
Kingston SSDNow V+200 Specifications:
- Form factor: 2.5″
- Interface: SATA Rev 3.0 (6Gb/s) , SATA Rev 2.0 (3Gb/s)
- Capacities: 60GB, 90GB, 120GB, 240GB, 480GB
- Sequential reads:
- SATA Rev. 3.0 – 535MB/s
- SATA Rev. 2.0 – 280MB/s
- Sequential writes:
- SATA Rev. 3.0 – 60GB – 460MB/s | 90GB, 120GB, 240GB, 480GB – 480MB/s
- SATA Rev. 2.0 – 260MB/s
- Sustained Random 4k Read/Write:
- 60GB – 12,000/47,000 IOPS
- 90GB – 20,000/47,000 IOPS
- 120GB – 20,000/44,000 IOPS
- 240GB – 36,000/43,000 IOPS
- 480GB – 43,000/30,000 IOPS
- Max Random 4k Read/Write:
- 60GB – 85,000/60,000 IOPS
- 90GB – 85,000/57,000 IOPS
- 120GB – 85,000/55,000 IOPS
- 240GB – 85,000/43,000 IOPS
- 480GB – 75,000/34,000 IOPS
- three-year warranty with free 24/7 support
- Power Consumption:
- 0.565 W (TYP) Idle / 1.795 W (TYP) Read / 3.230 W (TYP) Write
- Storage Temperature: -40°C ~ 85°C
- Operating Temperature: 0°C ~ 70°C
- Dimensions: 69.85 x 100 x 9.5mm
- Weight: 115 grams
- Vibration Operating: 2.17G
- Vibration Non-Operating: 20G
- MTBF: 1,000,000 Hrs