In the final instalment of the Seasonic Aura custom build project, we take a look at how to make custom power cables, mod the Fractal Define 7 XL front panel cables and put the finishing touches on the system by installing all the wiring. We also build the custom loop and add a few final modifications with more LED lighting and improved laser cut panels.
Watch via our Vimeo channel (below) or over on YouTube at 2160p HERE
00:00 Video start
01:22 Subtle changes
01:55 Making custom PSU cables – pin outs
10:10 Tools needed for custom cables
11:37 Parts needs for the cables
14:19 The first step of making cables
17:03 23 pieces of 16 gauge wire for 24 pin cable – terminal pins
17:33 Details on ‘double cable’ – soldering
20:45 Crimping the terminals
24:43 Applying sleeving to the cables
26:50 Using heatshrink
29:26 More cable sleeving timelapse
31:40 Sleeving double wire cables
35:32 Putting it all together now
39:37 The next technical step – using the digital multimeter
42:50 Cables all made up – emergency change guide
47:05 Installing the cables in the system!
49:39 Front panel cable sleeving
1:00:31 Build discussion
1:01:08 Building the custom loop
1:07:00 The finished build!
1:08:08 Closing Thoughts
At the beginning of this video, I show off a couple of improved laser cut panels. We swapped out the custom laser-etched aluminium GPU backplate with an improved design removing screw holes, plus a new and improved aluminium panel at the side of the motherboard tray that now has a Seasonic Aura logo laser cut instead of etched, which I think looks much better as the new logo is more pronounced compared with our original custom etched panel.
The final episode of the Seasonic Aura custom build project focuses on building new power supply cables, the cables are made using 16 AWG wire for the main power connections (24-pin, EPS and PCIe) and 18 AWG wire for the SATA power cables. All the new cables are measured to a specific length for improved routing around the system and sleeved with blue/black PET sleeving.
As well as building custom power cables, I modded the front panel cables of the Fractal Define 7 XL case. Most of the stock front panel cables are standard black PVC sleeved multi-core cables, the USB 3.0 and Type-C header cables are difficult to modify with their moulded connector plugs on either end, so I concentrate on sleeving the USB 2.0 and HD audio headers with black PET to match the stock sleeved front panel header cable.
All the custom cables are managed behind the right-hand case side panel, the Define 7 XL is an excellent case for cable management with plenty of cable push through cut-outs and eyelets for strapping cables down. The case also has a large plastic panel that covers cables entering the power supply shroud, so the final cable management in the right-hand side of the system looks great.
To top it all off, the system is fitted with a complex custom cooling system provided by Alphacool, with brass/chrome tubing and two 360mm long 45mm thick radiators. The CPU block is also an Alphacool unit however, the GPU water block is the stock solution that comes pre-installed to the Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC Waterforce WB 8G with its subtle black shroud and blue lighting perfectly complementing the system.
Ful System Spec:
- CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
- Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz
- Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC WATERFORCE WB 8G
- 1st Storage device: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD
- 2nd Storage device: 1TB Western Digital Blue SATA SSD
- 3rd Storage device: 1TB Western Digital Blue SATA SSD
- Case: Fractal Define 7 XL Light TG
- Cooling: Alphacool Full custom loop w/chrome/brass tubing
- System Fans: 7 x NZXT AER P 120
- Power Supply: Seasonic Prime TX-1000
- Custom PSU shroud with “Powered by Seasonic” laser cut logo in the shroud and a transparent blue acrylic bonded with blue LED illumination.
- Two Aluminium Laser etched SSD covers Featuring the Seasonic PRIME logo design, SSDs placed on top of the power supply shroud for maximum visibility.
- The right-hand steel case side panel has a large Seasonic logo laser cut into the panel and backed with blue transparent acrylic.
- Custom laser cut Seasonic Aura aluminium panel at the right-hand side of the motherboard tray.
- Custom Aluminium GPU backplate with Seasonic logo and “The Heart of Your System” laser etched on the panel.
- Custom length, Black/Blue sleeved power supply cables made to exact length for the system and neatly managed behind the right-hand side panel.
- Blue Led lighting on the base of the case to provide a subtle “underglow” effect.
- Heatsinks of the Corsair memory modules modified with a brush aluminium effect.
- Fractal Design Define 7 XL front panel cables sleeved with black PET sleeving.
As a whole, the system turned out to be a great success; the finished article looks exactly as I imagined it would when we started this project, and it was well worth all the hard work, blood sweat and tears (almost) that went into it. That’s it for now with Seasonic Aura, this project has come to an end, but we are beavering away thinking of ideas for a new custom build project to get our teeth into during the new year.
KitGuru Says: We are extremely happy with how Seasonic Aura turned out in the end, let us know what you guys think of the finished system, is there anything you would change or add to the system if it was your build?