Home / Lifestyle / Mobile / Apple / Apple investigate iPhone electrocution death report

Apple investigate iPhone electrocution death report

A report has been circulating that a woman was electrocuted in China while trying to use an iPhone while it was recharging. Apple say they will ‘fully investigate’ the claims.

The 23 year old’s brother has spoken out in an interview saying she was hit by a shock from the iPhone when trying to answer a call on the handset. News agency Xinhua say the police are investigating the death of Ma Ailun who lived in the north west region of Xinjiang. The police have not yet confirmed if the mobile phone was the cause of her death.

The girl’s older sister have been active online, posting a message on the micro blogging service Sina Weibo following her death.

She said “[I] hope that Apple Inc can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging.” The message had apparently been read more than 3,000 times.

Apple issued a statement saying “We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter.”

Ma was a flight attendant with China Southern Airlines and was planning to get married in August. Her sister claims she bought the iPhone 5 shortly after it was released in the country in December and was using it with the original charger at the time of her death.

The China Consumers Associations say that a man was killed in 2010 while making a phone call using a handset connected to the mains via an ‘unauthorised’ charger.

The BBC have added that mobile phone owners should not be concerned about this. He said that the charger output is around 5 volts and isn’t powerful enough to be dangerous, therefore causing no risk.

He did add however “Having said that, something in the charger could have had a fault on it and/or the mains wiring it was connected to might have been faulty. Owners should also avoid using mains-connected equipment whilst in the bath or if they are extremely wet, because water could run down the wire and into the plug.

Become a Patron!

Check Also

KitGuru and the value of honest reviews

Can you trust the new brand of 'influencers' online? Are some companies fooling you into buying hardware?