An owner of the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S III had a mighty surprise recently. While driving along with the device in a car mount it suddenly gave off a “white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone”. The owner then pulled over and inspected the damage, noticing rather large burnt patches on the base of the phone's body (pictured).
Once Samsung got word of this a new unit was hand delivered and this was posted on one of Samsung's official blogs:
“There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung GALAXY SIII that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device. Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question. Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously.”
It is not clear what caused Samsung's latest flagship phone to explode and meltdown but we are willing to bet that Samsung are hoping that it was to do with direct sunlight, summer heat and a dodgy car mount.
KitGuru says: Hopefully this was one-off occurrence.