The 2-bay AS5202T NAS is one of the first members of a new product line from Asustor called Nimbustor, alongside a 4-bay AS5304T model – the AS5304T is the Nimbustor 4, while the AS5202T is the Nimbustor 2. The new model line sees a world’s first, with the introduction of 2.5-Gigabit Ethernet ports to the Asustor range and both Nimbustor models come with a pair of 2.5GbE ports.
At the heart of the AS5202T is an Intel Celeron J4005 Dual-Core CPU. The 14nm J4005 is clocked at 2.0 GHz, with a boost speed of up to 2.7GHz, and supports DDR4/LPDDR4 memory up to 2400MHz. Our review sample came with a single 2GB DDR4-2400 module installed in one of the two SO-DIMM slots but the motherboard supports a maximum of 8GB (2 x 4GB).
Headline Sequential speeds quoted by Asustor are reads of 563MB/s with writes at 561MB/s. However, the devil is in the detail as these figures were obtained using both 2.5GbE connections set up in a Link Aggregation mode. With a single 2.5GbE connection the official figures is 283 MB/s for both reads and writes. The AS5202T also has a dedicated hardware AES 256-bit encryption engine.
Asustor back the NAS with a 3-year warranty.
- Processor: Intel Celeron J4005 Dual-Core 2.0 GHz (burst up 2.7GHz).
- Memory: 2GB DDR4-2400.
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports: 2 x 2.5.
- Rear panel connectors: 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1, 1 x HDMI 2.0a.
- Front panel connectors: 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1.
- RAID support: JBOD, RAID 0, 1.
- Cooling: Active, 1 x 70mm.
- Drive Bays Supported: 2.
- Maximum hard drive size supported: 16TB.
- Maximum Capacity: 32TB.
- Internal File System support: Default EXT4 but also supports Btrfs.
- Dimensions (D x W x H): 230 x 114 x 170mm.
- Weight: 1.6kg.