MSI is aiming for all-out performance with its flagship LGA 1150 motherboard – the Z87 XPower. Can the 32 phase VRM, overclocking-orientated features, host of add-on controllers, and support for 4-way graphics configurations give MSI’s Z87 XPower motherboard success in the enthusiast sector?
Adamant to make a stake in the ultra high-end motherboard scene, MSI stuffs its XL-ATX Z87 XPower with features that will have extreme overclockers and enthusiast-grade gamers filled with excitement. 32 VRM phases powered by a DigitALL PWM controller, over-sized voltage regulation heatsinks, V-check points, onboard overclocking buttons, and MSI Military Class 4 components have the overclocking options covered.
But MSI isn’t aiming for a board that can deliver high CPU frequencies without doing much else. Support for 4-way SLI and CrossFire configurations via a PEX 8747 switch, ten SATA 6Gb/s ports, WiFi and bluetooth connectivity, a high-grade audio chip, and Killer’s E2205 network controller prove that an all-round king of motherboards is what MSI wants to achieve with its Z87 XPower.
The specifications sheet looks promising, as does the yellow and black colour scheme, but is MSI’s Z87 XPower able to prove its worth whilst being put through our tests today?
- Supports DDR3-3000(OC) Memory
- 32 Phase DigitALL Power Design
- 4-way Multi-GPU: 4-way NVIDIA SLI & AMD CrossFire Support
- OC Certified: Military Class Burn-in Test Passed
- Military Class 4: Top Quality & Stability
- OC Genie 4: Overclock in 1 Second
- Click BIOS 4: Easily Fine-tune Your System
- PCI Express Gen 3: World’s 1st PCI Express Gen 3 Motherboard Brand
- Audio Boost: Reward Your Ears with True Quality
- Killer Ethernet: Kill Your Lag
- Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3: Amazing Headphone Surround & Gaming Sound Enhancement
- Lucid Virtu MVP 2.0: Uncompromised Game Response Performance
- Wi-Fi 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, Intel® Wireless Display