Mobile workstations are usually only mobile in the sense that you can move them from desk to desk more easily than a full tower. They are not generally systems you would want to carry around with you all day. But the MSI WS63 7RK bucks this trend. It’s under 2cm thick and under 2kg in weight. Yet inside is a quad-core processor, professional NVIDIA Quadro graphics, and two storage devices.
The processor in question is an Intel Core i7-7700HQ. This is from the Kaby Lake generation, but is the lowest-specified mobile quad-core from the range. The CPU is backed by 16GB of DDR4 SDRAM. The NVIDIA Quadro graphics is the very latest Pascal-generation P3000, with 6GB of GDDR5 memory, so should give desktop professional 3D accelerators a run for their money. With a 15.6in Full HD IPS panel on board, there’s plenty of potential for serious 3D work.
Storage includes a 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe solid state disk for operating system and apps, plus a 1TB HGST Travelstar Z5K1000 5,400rpm conventional hard disk offering plenty of capacity. So this really is like a mini workstation you can carry around with you. Let’s find out how closely it compares to a workstation you wouldn’t be able to fit in a bag.
MSI W63 7RK Specifications:
- Intel Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz
- 16GB DDR4 SDRAM @ 2,400MHz
- 6GB GDDR5 NVIDIA Quadro P3000 Graphics
- Intel HD Graphics 630
- 15.6in IPS TFT with 1,920 x 1,080 resolution
- 256GB Toshiba THNSN5256GPU7 M.2 NVMe SSD
- 1TB HGST Travelstar Z5K1000 SATA III 6Gb/s 5,400rpm HDD
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth v4.2
- Ports: LAN, SDXC, 1 x USB 3.1 Type C, 3 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, heaphone / S/PDIF, microphone
- Dimensions (WxDxH): 380 x 249 x 17.7mm
- Weight: 1.8kg
- Windows 10 Professional 64bit
- 3 Years warranty, including 1 Year Global
Price: £2,379.29 inc VAT & Delivery (Buy from LambdaTek HERE)
Be sure to check out our sponsors store EKWB here