While there is no doubt that in the not too distant future we will be transferring gigabytes quickly across the planet at very little cost – right now the movement of very large files still requires a physical device. Always happy to play at the high end in terms of quality and price, we are happy to see the SanDisk Extreme pro 128GB USB 3 drive land in our offices. Let’s see if it is driven to succeed.
If the folks at SanDisk are to be believed, then the 128GB Extreme Pro USB 3 drive is the ‘be-all-end-all’ product for personal storage.
In terms of storage capacity, it is difficult to argue. While we all moved from 1TB to 2TB to 3TB and so on a few years back the overpowering advantage of having an SSD-based PC has changed the mindset of most enthusiasts/professionals.
We have become used to the idea of a smaller area of storage for our current project, with lightning fast data transfer and a much larger, slower storage system in the background (be it NAS or cloud).
If you are working with video or need to install a ton of software onto a new system etc then the SSD-like transfer speeds of an external USB3.0 device can be very useful. Adding in a stylish aluminium casing and SanDisk SecureAccess software is a bonus. You never know when you might lose a data storage device.
According to SanDisk, the products highlights are clear to see:-
- Transfer files up to 60 times faster than with standard USB 2 drives
- Read speeds up to 260MB/s and write speeds of up to 240MB/s
- 128GB storage capacity lets you take your media collection with you
- Sophisticated design with durable aluminum metal casing protects against wear and tear
- SanDisk SecureAccess software included for 128-bit AES file encryption and password protection
So what about the all important numbers? Technical Specifications:-
- Available capacity: 128GB
- Performance/Speed: Up to 240MB/s write; Up to 260MB/s read
- Dimensions: 11.0 x 21.0 x 71.0 mm; 0.45 x 0.84 x 2.79 in
- Operating Temperature: 0 C to 45 C
- Storage Temperature: -10 C to 70 C
- Compatibility: USB 3.0 and USB 2.0