With a long history in the gaming audio market, Creative is continuing to refine its products to deliver the best audio experience. Today we assess the Sound BlasterX AE-5, a PCIe sound card with Xamp technology and support for 32-bit/384Khz playback. Is it worth £129.99?
Over the years, sound cards have gradually been phased out as on-board audio gets better and better. It will be interesting, then, to look at the Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5, especially so given it is not cheap at £129.99.
- Power: PCIe bus power, +5V for Aurora lighting (requires 4-pin molex peripheral connector from PC power supply)
- Audio Technology: BlasterX Acoustic Engine
- Dynamic Range (DNR): 122dB
- Connectivity Options (Main): 1 x TOSLINK Optical Out, 1 x 1/8″ (3.5mm) Mic In/Line In, 1 x 1/8″ (3.5mm) Headphone/Headset Out, 1 x 1/8″ Front Out, 1 x 1/8″
- Rear Out, 1 x 1/8″ Center/Sub Out
- Connectivity Options (Accessory): 1 x Front Panel Header, 1 x RGB LED Header (support 5V RGB strips)
- Supported Headphone Impedance:16 – 600 Ω
- Audio Technologies: CrystalVoice, Scout Mode
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows® 7, Windows® 8, Windows® 8.1, Windows® 10
- Dimensions: 145 x 20 x 128 mm
- Platform: PCIe
- Recommended Usage: Gaming, Home Entertainment