The next expansion for mega MMO World of Warcraft, Warlords of Draenor (WoD) will go live on the US and EU servers in the next few hours. This will be the fifth expansion to the game, which was originally released 10 years ago this month.
Warlords of Draenor will be launching at slightly different times in different territories, but that’s nothing new:
- North America at 12:00 a.m. PST on Thursday the 13th of November
- Europe at 12:00 a.m. CET on Thursday the 13th of November
- UK at 11:00 p.m. on Wednesday the 12th of November
- Character level cap raised to 100.
- A new world: Draenor home of the Orcs and refuge of the Draenei.
- Garrisons: your own personal fortress that you build, staff, and manage.
- Player character model revamp for the pre-Cataclysm races.
- A level 90 character upgrade. Players will be able to instantly boost one character to level 90, which may be a pre-existing or newly created character.
It seems likely that this won’t be the end for WoW though, with Blizzard likely to continue filling up Azeroth and beyond with content for years to come. There are very few MMO’s that are 10 years old and still putting out expansions of this size and quality, but then again, none have ever had the subscriber numbers that WoW has accumulated. While far from its peak of around 13 million, with around 7.5 million subscribers WoW is still by far the biggest subscription MMO with only a handful of others achieving even one million.
KitGuru Says: Another large expansion to what continues to be the world’s most popular MMO. Have any of our readers been testing the beta or are you just looking forward to setting up your own Garrison and seeing the shiny new character models?
The Garrisons and the character model rework are probably my favourite parts of this expansion; especially when you consider that they will allow you to build your own fort in the world and recruit NPC’s! I think that as long as this is well received by the community, then it could well will be expanded upon in the future.