One of the most exciting aspects to a new console generation is seeing how a system’s UI looks and functions. While the PS5 UX does appear modern, it is a step back in some ways when it comes to functionality. Fortunately, a new system software update is bringing with it some much needed additions.
Making the announcement on the PlayStation Blog, Sony revealed that “our second PS5 system software beta is kicking off tomorrow with new ways to personalize your console experience across party chat, Game Base and accessibility settings.”
The features list is extensive, but some of the most exciting include:
- When you start a party, you can now select either an open party or a closed party:
- You can now add a player to a group or create a new group directly from Game Base in the Control Center. You can also send text messages, quick messages, images, video clips, and view a group’s shared media from this card.
- You can now filter your game collection by genre, letting you quickly find specific types of game experiences.
- You can now keep the games or apps you choose on your home screen by selecting “Keep in Home” with the (options) button.
- You can now have a total of 14 games and apps appear on your home screen.
- The visual design of both trophy cards and trophy lists have been updated. You can also see suggestions for which trophies to earn on the trophy tracker and access it from the Control Center whenever you’re playing a game.
- You can now use voice commands to find and open games, apps, and settings, as well as control media playback on the PS5 console (this feature is currently available in English for beta participants with accounts registered to the U.S. and U.K.)
The full list of changes – which can be found HERE – is even more exhaustive and comes with some genuinely useful improvements. Hopefully Sony continues to improve the PS5’s UX at the current rate that they have been.
KitGuru says: What do you think of the PS5’s UI? What changes do you still want to see? Are you excited for this update? Let us know down below.