KitGuru was recently invited to Dongguan, China to visit speaker manufacturer Edifier's factory and HQ. As part of this trip we got an early look at some products that have not yet made their way to the UK – including Edifier's new flagship 2.0 speaker, the S3000 Pro. Expected to land on these shores early next year, and with a price of £699, just what are you getting for your money? Stanley Wen, Edifier VP and director of R&D, joined us to take us through the speakers.
Watch the video via our VIMEO Channel or over on YouTube at 2160p HERE
Note: if you cannot see the above gallery, you may need to disable Ad Block as it is known to interfere with our display code.
For a full overview from Stanley Wen, make sure to watch the video above as he talks us through the main features and advancements made with the S3000 Pro. Some key features worth noting, though, include the 6.5in aluminium alloy bass drivers alongside the planar silk tweeters – the latter which has been improved over the S3000 Pro's predecessor to offer improve detail and clarity. There is also a broad range of input options that includes balanced XLR, high resolution USB, optical, coaxial, RCA line in and Bluetooth 5.0.
Another feature that is noteworthy is the fact that there is no connecting cable between the left and right speaker units. We have seen something like this before with the Edifier E235 2.1 speaker system we reviewed earlier this year, as that had a wireless subwoofer connection to the satellites. Stanley told us that the S3000 Pro, however, is the first 2.0 speaker system Edifier has manufactured that does not need a cable to connect the two units. Instead, it uses a proprietary wireless audio transmission module in both the master and slave speakers, with a sophisticated delay implemented into the master speaker to ensure synchronised output between the two units.
Full specification of the S3000 Pro is as follows:
- Power output: R/L (Treble): 8W+8W RMS. R/L (mid-range and bass): 120W+120W RMS.
- Frequency response: 38Hz-40KHz
- THD + N (testing level): 0.3%
- Signal to noise ratio: 85dBa
- Input sensitivity: Line in – 600 ± 50 mV, Balance – 1000 ± 50 mV, OPT/COAX – 400 ± 50mFFs, Bluetooth – 450 ± 50mFFs, USB – 400 ± 50mFFs
A full list of features includes:
- Certified HiRes
- 107 x 107mm Planar silk diaphragm tweeters
- Bass drivers: 6.5” (179mm) aluminum alloy diaphragm bass unit
- XMOS xCore200 interface supports USB audio bitrate up to 192KHz
- Bluetooth V5.0 with Qualcomm®aptX HD decoding
- High-efficiency Class D digital power amplification
- XLR Balanced input and RCA line-in jack
- Electronic crossovers and dynamic control based on DSP
The S3000 Pro was made available in China earlier this year, but it is not expected to find its way to the UK market until the beginning of 2019. Priced at £699, too, it is £270 more expensive than its predecessor currently costs from Amazon. While we got a brief listen – and it certainly sounded very good – we won't be able to give a final verdict until we can test the speakers for ourselves in a full review, so stay tuned for that.
KitGuru says: Let us know what you think of the new S3000 Pro – are any of you looking for a new high-end 2.0 speaker system? We also have more content to bring from our trip to China, so stay tuned for that.