Kingston have impressed us recently with many of their products, especially the low cost, high performance SSDNow V100 128GB SSD drive. Today we are looking at their new external storage solution called HyperX MAX 3.0 which utilises the latest USB 3.0 superspeed interface.
According to Kingston the HyperX Max 3.0 drives (MLC) can achieve speeds of up to 195 MB/s read and 160 MB/s write which will be tantalizingly desirable for demanding performance users on the move. The life expectancy of the drive is said to be 1,000,000 hours and it will support Windows Vista (SP1, SP2), Windows 7 and Windows XP (SP3). To get maximum performance you obviously need a USB 3.0 capable motherboard or expansion card, but it is fully backwards compatible. All models have a 3 year warranty with free 24/7 support.
Kingston will be offering models 64GB, 128GB and 256GB in size and we are looking today at the 128GB model.
Key selling points:
- Impressive write speed of up to 160MB/sec.
- Read speed up to 195 MB/s
- SuperSpeed Certified USB 3.0 – 10x faster than the transfer speed of USB 2.0
- No moving parts means no mechanical failures
- Mobile design, USB port powered; no external power supply required
- Dimensions: 73.49mm x 118.60 mm x 12.00 mm : 2.89” x 4.67” x 0.47”