Today we are going to take a look at the Fractal Design Define XL R2 case which is the successor to the highly regarded Define XL. This is a full tower case which is designed to house some of the largest and most powerful components on the market. It’s part of Fractal Design’s Define series which is created with acoustic performance as the main focus.
We were very impressed with the original Fractal Design Define XL when we reviewed it back in 2011 as it offers good cooling performance and excellent acoustics. We are excited to see how Fractal Design have improved upon the original design and how this revised version performs.
- High density noise-reducing material for an optimal silent case
- Patented ModuVent™ design allowing the user to choose between optimal silence or maximum airflow.
- With a new internal layout and additional PCI expansion slots, it can harbor the most powerful enthusiast systems.
- Both HDD cages can be removed or repositioned – Top HDD cage can be removed or repositioned for increased airflow whereas bottom HDD cage can be repositioned further into the case to allow for front radiator mount.
- The case can fit water cooling equipment in the front, top, rear and bottom without major modifications.
- Three-speed fan controller is strategically integrated in the front panel and supports up to 3 fans
- Three Silent Series R2 fans are included, featuring hydraulic bearings which contribute to a longer life expectancy – Silent Series R2 retail fans now come standard in all cases
- New tool-less front fan holder makes switching front fans a breeze
- ATX, Micro ATX, mini-ITX, E-ATX and XL-ATX motherboard compatibility
- 4 – 5.25″ bays
- 8 – 3.5″ HDD trays – all compatible with SSDs
- A total of 9 expansion slots
- 3 – ModuVent™ plates – two in the top and one in the side
- 7 – Fan positions (3 fans included)
- Filtered fan slots in front and bottom
- CPU coolers up to 170 mm tall (when no fan is installed in the side panel)
- PSU compatibility: ATX PSUs up to 190 mm deep when using the bottom fan location; when not using this fan location longer PSUs (up to 345 mm deep) can be used
- Graphics card compatibility: Graphics cards up to 330mm in length with the top HDD cage installed – With the top cage removed, graphics cards up to 480mm in length may be installed
- 26 mm of space for cable routing behind the motherboard plate
- Thick rubber grommets on all holes on the motherboard plate
- Colors available: Black Pearl, Titanium Grey
- Case dimensions (WxHxD): 232 x 559 x 560mm
- Net weight: 16.4kg
- Package dimensions (WxHxD): 322 x 637 x 655mm
- Package weight: 19kg