If you own an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 console then today's review product might raise an eyebrow. Have you ever wanted to share video content showcasing your gaming exploits? The Hauppauge HD PVR Gaming Edition records high definition video from either console direct to your computer in compressed H.264 format. This time Hauppauge supply all the cables you need for a complete ‘out of the box' experience.
This product allows the gamer to share video recordings of their gaming sessions and then upload them to Youtube or other video streaming services. Hauppauge say that the videos can be used to ‘discuss tactics' with fellow clan members. Heck, even if you aren't socially active, you can play back the recordings on your own computer.
Hauppauge claim that the HD PVR Gaming Edition records fantastic quality images in 1080i with H.264 compression. The Gaming Edition also features optical audio input, so you can record 5 channel audio directly from the game console.
H.264 is a good codec to use, as it offers excellent image quality while allowing for good compression rates. We have tested this format before and it often only takes one third the storage capacity of the ever popular MPEG 2 format.
The latest version claims to have a ‘real time' video pass through option which means you can watch the game play while recording the video signal directly to the hard drive.
Hauppauge include all the cabling and software to record the video content – all you need is a compatible computer and either a Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.
- Hardware encoder:
- H.264 AVCHD video encoder
- AC-3 audio encoding from optical S/PDIF (2 or 5.1 channel audio)
- Recording datarate: from 1 to 13.5 Mbits/sec (user selectable)
- Recording format: AVCHD (.TS and .M2TS) and .MP4 Resolution up to 1080i from component video (YCrCb and YPrPb).
Note: the video input format determines the recorded format. For example, 1080i input records at 1080i, 720P records at 720P, etc.
- 7.75 in wide x 6.80 in deep x 2.75 in high
- 5V at 2 amps
- PC with 3.0 GHz single core or 2.0 GHz multi-core processor
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32 or 64-bit), Windows Vista or Windows XP Service Pack 3
- 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
- Graphics card with 256MB memory
- Sound card
- 220 MB free hard disk space
- CD-ROM drive (for Software installation)
Included in this package
- HD PVR Gaming Edition high definition H.264 personal video recorder, USB 2.0
- 5V 2 amp power supply
- USB cable
- Component video and audio cable for pass through
- Component video and stereo audio cable set for Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3
- Installation CD-ROM with WinTV v7 and ArcSoft ShowBiz applications
- Quick Installation Guide
Bundled software applications
- ArcSoft ShowBiz, with these features:
- Video capture for recording video game play
- Authoring, trimming and burning your video recordings onto a Blu-ray compatible DVD disk
- Upload videos to YouTube