We have reviewed many high end, wallet sapping Super Flower power supplies in recent years, but today we look at a lower cost model – the Platinum King 650W. With 80 Plus Platinum efficiency and a 120mm low noise fan the price point is set at £87.95 inc VAT from Overclockers UK. By today’s Brexit hit rates, it is competitively priced.
According to Case King, the Super Flower Platinum King has been designed and released to offer ‘an impressive mix of efficiency, reliability and price/performance.’ This is backed up with a 5 year warranty.
There is quite the history with this range of power supplies. The original Golden Green series was launched some time ago and it delivered 80 Plus Gold power at a great price point. Later Super Flower launched the Golden King series, based on the same core design, tweaked to achieve 80 Plus Platinum efficiency levels. It didn’t make a lot of sense to me at the time why they called it ‘Golden King’ when it was actually Platinum certified.
In late 2013 they launched the Leadex Gold to replace the Golden Green series, while offering very high levels of power delivery and quality control.
The Platinum King is the latest unit in their series with hardwired cables, 80 Plus Platinum efficiency levels and likely a tweaked design brought into 2016. There are three supplies in the range, a 450W, 550W and 650W model – the latter of which we are reviewing today.
– Real Power: 650W
– Efficiency: 80 Plus Platinum
– Transform Efficiency: on 20% 50% 100% loading, with 91.64% 92.88% 90.99% Efficiency.
– Intel Power Design Guide: EPS Ver. 2.92
– Outlook: Honeycomb ventilation panel, high efficiency air flow design
– Fan Size: 12cm Silent Fan with temperature control
– Dimension: 145mm(L) x 150mm(W) x 86mm(H)
– Protection: OVP/OCP/OPP/SCP/UVP
– Safety Certificates: BSMI R33529 / CE / FCC / CUL / cTUVus / CB