We first saw the ROG Phone when it officially launched back in June this year. It’s no surprise that ASUS was showing off its new flagship mobile device at Gamescom as the design and features are specifically aimed at gamers.
Watch on our VIMEO Channel below, or over on YOUTUBE HERE
We already know ASUS has created the ROG Phone using speed-binned Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chips at 2.96ghz, promising very fast performance. You also get 8GB of RAM and a beastly 500GB of storage. But what makes this phone specifically aimed at the gaming market rather than just being another smartphone with high-end specs? Dominic finds out by interviewing Harry at the ROG booth during KitGuru’s visit to Gamescom.
What we know so far:
- 6-inch 18:9 (2160 by 1080) 90Hz, 1ms response time AMOLED display
- 550nits brightness
- Gaming HDR and Mobile HDR supported by dedicate hardware display chip
- 108.6% DCIP3 and 10,000:1 contrast ratio AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass
- Capacitive touch panel with 10 points multi-touch (supports glove touch)
- CPU: 2.96GHz specially-binned Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 845 Mobile Platform with 10nm, 64-bit Octa-core Processor
- GPU: Qualcomm® Adreno™ 630
- Memory: Up to LPDDR4X 8GB RAM
- Sony flagship IMX363 12MP dual pixel image sensor – 1/2.55″ large sensor size, 1.4µm large pixel size
- F1.8 aperture
- 6p lens
- 83° field of view
- 0.03 seconds phase-detection autofocus
- 4-axis, 4 stops optical image stabilization
- LED flash
Rear camera 2:
- 120° wide-angle camera
- F2.0 aperture
- 24mm equivalent focal length in 35mm film camera
- 84° field of view
- WLAN 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2.4 & 5GHz
- WLAN 802.11ad 60GHz
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Wi-Fi direct
- Rear fingerprint sensor (0.3 seconds unlock, supports 5 fingerprints), Face recognition, Accelerator, E-Compass, Gyroscope.
- Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor, Ultrasonic sensor for AirTriggers and grip press.
- AI & scheduled charging for battery protection
- Android™ Oreo 8.1 and ROG Gaming X mode UI
KitGuru says: We don’t yet know the price of the ROG phone but expect it to be pretty expensive! It should be available around October/November time this year.