The idea of a ‘lapboard’ has been around for a couple of years, but it is only now we have started to see any products materialise. For those who don’t know, a lapboard is a way of bringing tried-and-trusted keyboard and mouse gaming to your sofa. The Sova is Roccat’s way of accomplishing what they call a no-compromise solution to sofa gaming.
Whereas Corsair’s Lapdog allows you to insert one of their own mechanical keyboards, the Roccat Sova uses an integrated keyboard – and there is the choice between a membrane keyboard version (£119), or a mechanical version (£159). This means the Sova is more competitively priced than the Lapdog – as just the Lapdog base unit (with no keyboard) costs around £110. But does that mean the Sova is the lapboard solution for you?
For this review today, I was shipped the membrane keyboard version.
- Superior design, comfortable even after long periods of use.
- Indestructible build for the wear and tear of comfortable gaming.
- High-Accuracy mousepad built for max precision.
- Replaceable mousepad, wrist rest & cushions.
- Totally Lag-Free for couch gaming without technical limitations.
- ROCCAT® Swarm software suite & companion app optimized.
- Mouse bungee + Cable Channel for distraction-free gameplay.
- Docking rail supports mouse bungee + custom clip-on parts.
- Configurable blue key back-lighting on per-key basis.
- TTC mechanical switches with near infinite key stroke durability.
- 275mm × 240mm mousepad, replaceable.
- Polling rate 1000Hz.
- Media & hotkeys.
- ROCCAT® Talk™.
- 512kB memory + 32-bit Arm IC.
- TTC mechanical key switches (anti-ghosting optimised).
- 2 × USB 2.0 ports.