The overwhelming audio preference among gamers is headsets. The ability to communicate while playing audio at serious volumes provides a tactical advantage without the need for constant complaints from friends and family. In this review, we’re taking on a set of speakers that is one level of ‘out loud’ above anything else we have seen recently – The WaveMaster Moody 2.1. Are they called ‘moody’ because of the way that they make you feel or because your neighbours will want to shoulder barge you in the morning?
As a straight translation, the €99 price point on the manufacturer’s own site should translate to around £80 in UK money. In fact, you can pick them up for £70 online from Amazon.
Spending more money, means you will naturally demand more in return. So what should we expect? This is a 2.1 system and the overall weight is 9kg, which is healthy. Weight is generally reassuring when discussing speakers, because it usually indicates a higher grade product.
Power output seems decent. The subwoofer is rated at 35 watts and the satellites promise 15 watts each.
Available only in black, you can view that as (a) slightly depressing or (b) easy to match to the rest of your technology products.
SOUND: Powerful, dynamic stereo sound powered by 3 separate amplifier modules (incl. bass and treble control).
SATELLITES: Compact design combined with high quality wide-range drivers with integrated phase-plug. Detachable front covers, wall mountable cabinet and rubber feet.
SUBWOOFER: High performance long stroke bass driver in wooden cabinet with bass reflex technology.
CONTROL: Integrated within the remote control unit are ON/OFF (standby), volume control, line-in (optimized for mobile sound sources) and headphone-out (amplified).
2 x LINE-IN PORTS: Connect an additional mobile stereo source (e.g. smartphone) to the dedicated socket on the control unit, without disconnecting your main source.
HEADPHONE JACK: MOODY offers an integrated headphone amplifier. Simply connect your headphones directly to the control unit and the speakers will mute automatically.
ECO-STANDBY: MOODY consumes less than 0.5 Watt during standby. Moreover there is a mains power switch located on the subwoofer.
Here’s the tech spec before we get into photos and hands-on feedback.
- Speaker drivers: Subwoofer 16.5cm bass driver, satellites 7 cm wide range drivers with phase-plug.
- Amplifier: Integrated with 3 separate channels.
- Output power (RMS): Subwoofer 35 Watt, satellites 2 x 15 Watt.
- Frequency response: Subwoofer 30 – 150 Hz, satellites 150 Hz – 20.000 Hz.
- Input sensitivity: Subwoofer line-in 500 mV, remote line-in 250 mV.
- Cable remote: On/standby function, volume control, headphone jack (amplified) and line-in.
- Satellite speakers: Compact design (wall mountable), detachable front covers and 3m connection cable.
- Subwoofer: Wooden cabinet with bass reflex technology, bass control, treble control and main power switch.
- Power supply: Internal, 100-240 Volt ~ 50/60 Hz, 0.7A max., Standby Power Connection: 3.5 mm mini stereo plug or RCA.
- Dimensions (WHD): Satellites = 90 x 145 x 103 mm, Subwoofer = 245 x 248 x 275 mm.