Today we analyse one of the latest power supplies from fan favourite Corsair. I last looked at the HX range back in 2012 but Corsair have updated the newest HX model in key areas – its now a pure modular design with efficiency levels enhanced from Gold to Platinum levels. The HX range is also equipped with a +12V Rail selection to switch between single and multiple +12V rail modes.
Corsair are releasing four new HX power supplies in 750w, 850w, 1000W and 1200W capacities. They sent us the HX850 model which proved one of the most popular output capacities with our readers in a recent poll on social media.
While it is confusing enough to have a new updated model with the same ‘HX’ moniker as before (Platinum page is HERE, older Gold page is HERE), Corsair complicate matters by having similar ranges available. The RMx series for instance is a 80 Plus Gold certified, fully modular range incorporating a 135mm rifle bearing fan inside.
The HXi range of power supplies (Platinum rated) are priced a little higher (£10-£15 more) than the plain HX series we look at today but they incorporate full Corsair Link Support. This is a popular feature with many enthusiast users as they get Windows OS support to control fan speeds via all their Corsair components and can even monitor various aspects of the power delivery. If you feel this is superfluous then you can save a little bit of cash and get the plain HX Platinum unit.
All of the HX, RMx and HXi come with a very impressive 10 year warranty. Its not quite at the same 12 year level as Seasonic, but it is still a very long time to keep a power supply in operation. Corsairs’ adoption of 105c rated Japanese level capacitors is giving them plenty of confidence with the longevity of their products.
Corsair HX Platinum Series features:
- 80 PLUS® Platinum efficiency, delivering 90% energy efficiency at real world load conditions.
- ZeroRPM mode for fanless operation at low loads and outstanding noise reduction.
- 135mm thermally controlled, fluid dynamic bearing fan only spins up as needed.
- Fully modular cables for easy installation, less clutter, and helps maximize airflow through your computer’s chassis.
- Engineered to meet maximum power output at a server-grade 50°C temperature rating.
- Over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, short circuit protection, over power protection, and over temperature protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.
- Safety and Agency Approvals: FCC, ICES, CE, UL / CUL, CSA, C-Tick/RCM, TUV, CB, CU, KC Mark, RoHS, WEEE, RoHS (China), REACH
Review photography handled in house at KitGuru with a Leica S series medium format camera and S series prime lens. Please do not use any of the images within this review without express permission.