To test real life performance of a drive we use a mix of folder/file types and by using the FastCopy utility (which gives a time as well as MB/s result) we record the performance of drive reading from & writing to a 256GB Samsung SSD850 PRO.
We use the following folder/file types:
- 100GB data file.
- 60GB iso image.
- 60GB Steam folder – 29,521 files.
- 50GB File folder – 28,523 files.
- 12GB Movie folder – 24 files (mix of Blu-ray and 4K files).
- 10GB Photo folder – 621 files (mix of .png, raw and .jpeg images).
- 10GB Audio folder – 1,483 files (mix of mp3 and .flac files).
- 5GB (1.5bn pixel) photo.
- 11GB 4K Raw Movie Clips (8 MP4V files).
- 21GB 8K Movie demos.
- 4.25GB 3D Printer File Folder (mostly .STL).
- 1GB AutoCAD File Folder (.dwg and .dxf).
The only time the transfer rate dropped beneath the 100MB/s level in our real life file transfer tests was when the drive transferred the small bity files in the 50GB File Folder.