Sitting under QNAP’s SMB banner, the TS-877 series of NAS units are the first based on AMD’s Ryzen technology to hit the market. Based around a Ryzen 7 1700 8-core or Ryzen 5 1600 6-core chip, the TS-877 are highly flexible 8-bay NAS units supporting three PCIe slots and a pair of internal SATA M.2 slots for SSD caching duties. It even supports the option of a dedicated graphics card.
The TS-877 product line is a complex affair despite the fact there are only three bay sizes. The eight bay TS-877 sits in the middle of a three unit product line, consisting of the flagship TS-1277 twelve bay model and the TS-677, six bay entry model. The complex bit is the multitude of CPU / memory options.
The flagship TS-1277 has three different models; TS-1277-1700-64G (AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-core, 64GB DDR4), TS-1277-1700-16G (AMD Ryzen 7 1700, 16GB DDR4) and the TS-1277-1600-8G (AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core CPU with 8GB DDR4). The TS-877 line up is a little less complicated, the TS-877-1700-16G (our review system) – AMD Ryzen 7 1700, 16GB DDR4 and the TS-877-1600-8G (AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and 8GB DDR4). The entry level TS-677 comes in just flavour, powered by an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 backed by 8GB DDR4.
Apart from the eight main storage bays there are a pair of 2.5in drive bays (built into the upper part of the front bezel) as well as a pair of M.2 SATA (2240/2260/2280/22110) ports on the motherboard which support SSD Cache Acceleration. For expansion purposes there are three, yes three PCIe slots; 1 x PCIe 3.0 x8, 1 x PCIe 3.0 x4 and 1 x PCIe 2.0 x4.
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz Turbo Core 3.7GHz.
- Memory: 16GB DDR4-2400 (expandable up to 64GB).
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports: 4.
- Rear panel connectors: 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 (1 x Type-C, 1 x Type-A), 5 x USB 3.0, 3 x 3.5mm audio, console port.
- Front panel connectors: 1 x USB 3.0 fast copy.
- RAID support: JBOD, RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10.
- Cooling: Active – 2 x 80mm chassis fans, 2 x 97mm CPU and system cooling.
- Drive Bays Supported: 8 – 6 x 3.5in, 2 x 2.5in.
- M.2 slots: 2 x 22110/2280/2260/2242 SATA 6Gb/s.
- Maximum hard drive size supported: 12TB + pair of SSD’s.
- Maximum Capacity: 72TB + pair of SSD’s
- Internal File System support: EXT4.
- PCIe slots supported: 3 – 1 x PCIe Gen3 x 8, 1 x PCIe Gen3 x4, 1 x PCIe Gen2 x4.
- Power Supply: 450 Watt PSU.
- Dimensions (D x W x H): 319.8 x 292.8 x 231.9mm.
- Weight: 9.05kg.