To test real life file/folder performance we use a number of different file/folder combinations to test the read and write performance of the NAS device. Using the FastCopy utility to get a MB/s and time taken for each transfer, the data is written from and read back to a 240GB SSD.
We use the following files/folders:
- 100GB data file.
- 60GB ISO image.
- 60GB Steam folder: 29,521 files.
- 50GB Files folder: 28,523 files.
- 12GB Movie folder: 24 files – mix of Blu-ray and 4K files.
- 10GB Photo folder: 621 files – mix of .png, .raw and .jpeg images.
- 10GB Audio folder: 1,483 files – mix of .mp3 and .flac files.
- 5GB (1.5m pixel) image.
- BluRay Movie.
Click to enlarge.
The NAS handled our real life file transfer tests without any problems and showed very good consistency throughout all the tests. It was more efficient handing large files than small ones as can be seen by the comparing the results of the transfer tests for the 60GB Steam, 50GB file and 10GB audio folders against all the rest.