Today we take a look at one of the latest Corsair power supplies – the fully modular HX 1200i. This new power supply has been created with high efficiency and low noise emissions in mind. It will slot in above the HX1000i that we reviewed back in August last year as the flagship model in this specific range. At £199.99 inc vat should this be shortlisted for a new system build this year?
The HXi power supplies are all Platinum class with an efficiency rating of at least 92% at 50% load. There are already three power supplies from Corsair available in this range: a 750W, 850W and 1000W model. This new 1200 watt model claims flagship status.
The HXi is an analog power supply but it features a built in analog to digital bridge which can pass over information to the Corsair Link Software via a USB connection. As the image above shows, the end user can monitor fan speed, current and voltage of the +3.3V, +5V and +12V rails. There is also support for display power in and efficiency, monitor power out with the option to enable or disable OCP on the +12V rails.
Corsair say they have carefully selected every component in the creation of the HXi to eliminate noise. They have placed special effort into improving the windings of transformers/coils in the design. Vibrations can occur if components are not wound properly – leading to what many users are calling ‘coil whine’. A fairly common problem with some power supplies on the market, even today.
Corsair seem confident in the new design – they are offering a full 7 year warranty with the HXi power supplies.
Corsair HX1200i Features:
- Corsair Link™ Integration for monitoring performance and adjustment of fan speed and multi-rail/single rail mode.
- 80 PLUS® Platinum efficiency, delivering 92% energy efficiency at real world load conditions.
- ZeroRPM mode for fanless operation at low loads and outstanding noise reduction.
- 140mm thermally controlled fluid dynamic bearing fan spins up as needed.
- Fully Modular low profile cables for easy installation, less clutter, and helps maximize airflow through your computer’s chassis.
- Engineered to meet maximum power output at a server-grade 50C temperature rating.
- Fan self-test switch to determine fan functionality even before installation.
- The latest ATX12V v2.4 and EPS 2.92 standards and is backward compatible with ATX12V 2.2, 2.31 and ATX12V 2.01 systems.
- 4th generation Intel® Core™ processor Ready (Intel Haswell and Z87 motherboards).
- Over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection, over power protection, over temperature protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.
- Safety and Agency Approvals: FCC, ICES, CE, UL / CUL, CSA, C-Tick/RCM, TUV, CB, CU, KC Mark, RoHS, WEEE, RoHS (China), REACH