Our GPU test procedure has been built with the intention of benchmarking high-end graphics cards. We test at 1920×1080 (1080p), 2560×1440 (1440p), and 3840×2160 (4K UHD) resolutions.
We try to test using the DX12 API if titles offer support. This gives us an interpretation into the graphics card performance hierarchy in the present time and the near future, when DX12 becomes more prevalent. After all, graphics cards of this expense may stay in a gamer’s system for a number of product generations/years before being upgraded.
General Test System Notes
- AMD Graphics cards were benchmarked with the AMD Crimson Display Driver 16.11.4.
- Nvidia Graphics cards were benchmarked with the Nvidia Forceware 375.70 driver.
- The Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti cards are benchmarked with a new Nvidia Forceware 378.78 driver to support the new card.
Intel Core i7 6700K ‘Skylake’ (Retail)
Overclocked to 4.4GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
G.Skill Trident Z
16GB (2x8GB) @ 3000MHz 16-18-18-38-2T
Micron M600 256GB SATA 6Gbps SSD
|Games Drive||SK hynix SE3010 960GB SATA 6Gbps SSD|
|Chassis||NZXT Phantom 630 (medium fan speed)|
Corsair H110i GT
Seasonic SS-760XP 760W Platinum
Windows 10 Professional with Anniversary Update (64-bit)
Our test system consists of an overclocked Core i7-6700K processor and 16GB of 3000MHz G.Skill DDR4. High-end hardware is used to eliminate CPU and memory from the bottleneck equation and put the performance onus solely on the GPU being tested.
Comparison Graphics Cards List
- AMD RX 480 8GB Reference (1266MHz core / 2000MHz memory)
- AMD R9 Fury X (1,050MHz core / 500MHz memory)
- Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti (1480MHz core / 1582MHz Boost / 1376MHz memory)
- Nvidia GTX Titan X (Pascal) (1418MHz core / 1531MHz Boost / 1251MHz memory)
- Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming (1696MHz core/ 1835MHz Boost / 1251MHz memory)
- ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Gaming A8G (1671MHz core/ 1810MHz Boost / 1251MHz memory)
- Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition (1607MHz core/ 1734MHz boost / 1251MHz memory)
- PNY GTX 1070 XLR8 OC (1607MHz core/ 1797MHz boost / 2002MHz memory)
- Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition (1506MHz core/ 1683MHz boost / 2002MHz memory)
- Nvidia GTX Titan X (Maxwell) (1,000MHz core / 1,753MHz memory)
- Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti XTREME Gaming (1216MHz core / 1800MHz memory)
- Nvidia GTX 980 Ti Reference (1000MHz core / 1,753MHz memory)
Software and Games List
- 3DMark Fire Strike & Fire Strike Ultra (DX11 Synthetic)
- 3DMark Time Spy (DX12 Synthetic)
- VRMark Blue Room (Synthetic)
- Unigine Heaven (DX11 Synthetic)
- Ashes of the Singularity (DX12)
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (DX12)
- Gears of War 4 (DX12)
- Grand Theft Auto V (DX11)
- Metro Last Light Redux (DX11)
- Rise of the Tomb Raider (DX12)
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (DX11)
- Total War: Warhammer (DX12)